Saturday 26 September 2015

President's Young Talents 2015

This exhibition is at the Singapore Art Museum, running till 27 March 2016.

My favourite is Ong Kian Peng's Too Far, Too Near. The visual, audio and message are all integrated, and it's quite mesmerising to just stare at the mechanised movements, listen to the sound of tiny ball bearings sliding across a metal tray sounding so much like the sound of the waves on a seashore, and watch the footage. It's so well put together that you can't help but marvel at the amount of thought, effort and meticulousness that went into this. I could stand in that room for hours.

Speaking of meticulousness, Ang Song Ming's Days once again shows his extreme attention to detail and perfection. His music manuscript works are even better than the very good ones he did for Fost in Logical Progressions, and the video is compelling too.

I was however, quite disappointed with Loo Zihan's Of Public Interest: The Singapore Art Museum Resource Room. It's supposed to be an installation. I don't agree. I'm afraid I didn't see any artistic value, or even artistic value-add, in this. I'm sure others see the artistic value, and I would understand if they scoff at me for not being able to see what others may see, so I'm sorry if I offend anyone with my opinion. But I do appreciate the opportunity to have access to resources on art, from as early as the 1970s. It's a great place to browse and read the books and catalogues on the shelves, and they thoughtfully put a nice long table with chairs for you to immerse yourself among the literature and read, read, read. I could spend hours in here too, but only because of the resources, not because it's an art installation. Calling it an installation aroused such great indignation in me that I had to write this review instead of leaving it to the more objective and learned musings of 75grams.

Fairly neutral to the remaining installations. Overall, an interesting exhibition that will occupy a good few hours if you take the time to look and think.




Loo Zihan

Bani Haykal



Ang Song Ming

Ezzam Rahman

Ong Kian Peng



That's all from me. Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment